Bicycling has a lot of potentials to improve fitness, reduce obesity, and reduce travel-related noise, air pollution, and greenhouse gas emissions. On the other hand, bike transport in Singapore has a higher risk of injuries that require hospitalization than car occupants. Understanding how to make bicycling safer and increasing bicycling rates are thus critical to improving population health. A growing body of research looks into transportation infrastructure and the risk of bicyclists being injured.
Why are they at risk?
Bicyclists are at risk because they must frequently share infrastructure with motor vehicles, and bicycles provide little to no physical protection in the time of a collision. Furthermore, a typical bike transport singapore has a mass at least an order of magnitude greater than a bicycle plus its rider, and motorized vehicles have much faster top speeds than bicycles. As a result, bicyclists involved in a collision face a significantly higher risk of injury than motorists.
What are the benefits?
Bicycling is enjoyable, beneficial to your physical and mental health, convenient for getting around town, and environmentally friendly.
- Physical activity benefits your mental health. Bike riding has several mental health benefits, including:
- Reduced levels of stress and anxiety
- Causes the release of feel-good chemicals in the brain, making you happy
- Depression risk is reduced.
- Sleep better
- Increased productivity and creativity
- Travelling by bicycle is more predictable than travelling by car because traffic is rarely an issue. Bicycling is convenient because it provides door-to-door service, and you can usually park a bicycle closer to your destination than a car. Driving short distances of up to 5 kilometers is often faster than driving a car. Travelling by bicycle is more predictable than traveling by car because traffic is rarely an issue.
- You’ll never throw a rod on a bicycle, and dropping a transmission entails replacing a bent derailleur hanger or a worn-out chain. Maintenance on bikes is required, but most of it can be learned on your own. Even if you hire a shop to assist you, the costs will be minor in comparison to the cost of a car.
- You’ll never throw a rod on a bicycle, and dropping a transmission usually entails replacing a bent derailleur hanger or a worn-out chain. Maintenance on bicycles is required, but the majority of it can be learned on your own. Even if you hire a shop to assist you, the costs will be minor in comparison to the cost of a car.
Cycling has significant health benefits, and there is no reason to believe that the risks outweigh the benefits at this time. However, a complete public health understanding requires that the long-term population health and environmental benefits of bicycling be considered factors that influence injury and fatality risk.